We can assist with different types of UK visas available to foreign nationals. We provide up to date information about changes in immigration rules and opportunities available to immigrate to the UK.

Law Firm Limited immigration advisors can assist in all areas of immigration matters in the UK.  

Law Firm Limited immigration advisors are registered with the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) and are authorised to provide assistance with variety of applications under the Points Based System, European Law,  Family based applications and Nationality and Citizenship under the UK law. Our advisors are authorised to provide advice in regards to more complex applications within the Immigration Rules as well as applications outside the Rules and applications under UKVI's concessionary or discretionary policies. Our advisors are also authorised to provide you with further guidance in case your application was refused.

Please note that SOME FIRMS OR INDIVIDUALS PURPORT TO OFFER IMMIGRATION ADVICE AND SERVICES WITHOUT BEING APPROPRIATELY QUALIFIED.  Any firm or individual whom you decide to instruct for your immigration matter must be a qualified solicitor, regulated by Solicitor Regulation Authority (SRA), barrister, regulated by Bar Council or are registered as Immigration Advisors with OISC or Law Society. IF THEY ARE NOT PROPERLY QUALIFIED TO GIVE IMMIGRATION ADVICE DO NOT USE THEM.

We have a team of registered Immigration Advisors working for our clients providing immigration advice and services within their respective levels of registration with the OISC.


New Immigration rules for students on 5 October 2020

Government provides further details on the UK’s new Points-Based Immigration System on 13 July 2020

Coronavirus and the UK immigration system - NEWS

New Tier 2 visa sub-category - Health and Care Visa on 4 August 2020

Global Talent visa and the closure of Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa on 20 February 2020

The Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa- will open in January 2021




TIER 1 (Investor)

TIER 1 (Investor) replaced the Investor category and is for those applicants who wish to invest £2 million and over in the UK.


This visa is intended for those who are starting a new business in the UK for the first time and is replacing Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur route after 29 March 2019.


This visa category is focused on more experienced businessmen who already have the funds (£50 000) to invest in their business and is replacing Tier 1 Entrepreneur route after 29 March 2019. 

TIER 1 (Entrepreneur) - only extension applications from 29 March 2019

TIER 1 (Entrepreneur) replaced the Business persons category and is for those applicants who would like to set up or buy an existing business in the UK.

Global Talent Visa

Global Talent visa if you work in a qualifying field and have been endorsed:

  • as a recognised leader (exceptional talent)
  • as an emerging leader (exceptional promise)
  • under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option


The Point Based System was launched in full from 27th of November 2008.

Once a sponsorship certificate is issued, the prospective employee of the sponsor (employer) will be required to submit his or her visa application that can be made in or outside the UK, provided the applicant is able to ‘switch’ to this category.

The UKBA has divided Tier 2 into five categories, which require sponsorship certificate:

1. TIER 2 (General)

2. TIER 2 (Minister of Religion)

3. TIER 2 (Sportsperson)

4. TIER 2 (Intra-Company Transfer)

5. TIER 2 (Health and Care Visa) 


Tier 4 (Students) was launched on 31 March 2009 and has undergone some major changes.

This category includes two sub-categories:

  • General Student – for those who are coming to the United Kingdom for post-16 education.
  • Child Student – for children between 4 and 17 years old coming to the UK for their education to study at independent schools. Parents of Tier 4 child aged betwen 4 and 12, can apply to accompany them under different category, namely under paragraph 276BT1 of the Immigration Rules. 

Educational provider means any educational establishment in the UK that is approved by the UKBA and has been given a licence to bring overseas students to the United Kingdom under Tier 4 of the PBS.


Tier 5 came into force on 27th November 2008. Tier 5 enables young nationals to experience life and culture in the UK and also permit workers to undertake short-term or temporary employment in the UK. Tier 5 replaced the following existing immigration categories:

  • Au pairs
  • Domestic workers in Diplomatic Households
  • Gap year
  • China Graduate Work Experience
  • General Agreement on Trade in services (GATS)
  • Japan: Youth Exchange Scheme
  • MP’s Research Assistants
  • Ministers of religion, missionaries and members of religious orders
  • Overseas government employees
  • Sportspeople
  • Training and Work Experience Scheme
  • Voluntary workers
  • Working holidaymakers

Tier 5 consists of two main categories under the Points Based System: the Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) and the Tier 5 (Temporary Workers) which consists of five sub-categories, set out below:


The visitor visa is the most popular single route for individuals coming to the UK for tourism, family visit or for business or under categories noted below. 

As of 24 April 2015 applicants can apply Standard Visitor visa if they wish to visit the UK for the purpose of:

  • Transit
  • Business 
  • Permitted paid engagements
  • Marriage and
  • Visitor 

The Standard Visitor visa has replaced the:

  • Family Visitor visa
  • General Visitor visa
  • Child Visitor visa
  • Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists
  • Sports Visitor visa
  • Entertainer Visitor visa
  • Prospective Entrepreneur visa
  • Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa
  • Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa

Reasons why you may wish to visit the UK 

There are numerous reasons why an individual may wish to come to the UK for a short period. In addition to visiting family, sightseeing or visiting on business, people may wish to visit the UK to get married or undertake a civil partnership ceremony, arrange plans for studying in the UK, undertake a short course, attend important events, visit the UK as a representative of a company or conduct research or sit a test/exam in the UK. 

General requirements for coming to the UK as a visitor 

Individuals intending to visit the UK must be able to demonstrate that they are genuine visitors and wish to visit the UK for no more than six months and that they will be leaving the UK at the end of the visit. In addition, individuals must be able to show that they have sufficient funds to maintain and accommodate themselves (and any dependants) without recourse to UK public funds. 

The exceptions to this general rule are:

  • ‘academic visitors’ may be granted a visa for up to 12 months
  • ‘medical visitors’ may be granted a visa for no more than 11 months 
  • a visitor under the Approved Destination Status Agreement (ADS Agreement) may be granted a visit visa for a period of up to 30 days

It is important that if you intend to visit the UK you should apply for the correct category of visitor visa before entering the country as you are required to comply with different conditions of your visa. Any breach of visa conditions during your stay in the UK may result in adverse consequences and it is therefore recommended to ensure that your intentions for coming to the UK are in line with the type of visitor visa you apply for. Additionaly, you should be aware that under the visitor visa in the UK you are not entitled to switch categories. 

back to top